In 1939, the Fayette County Schools and the Lexington City Schools began to offer adult education classes in trades and industrial education. On September 4, 1939, classes in automobile mechanics, vocational woodwork, and electrical and related courses were offered at Dunbar High School and Lafayette Technical Center. On November 14, 1939, additional classes for retail workers were added, including classes in hardware salesmanship, merchandise information, and department store salesmanship. 135 students were enrolled the first semester, ranging in age from 18 to 70. In 1965, the programs were transferred to a technical education system as a part of state government.
Lexington Technical Institute was created in 1965 as part of the University of Kentucky. A total of 20 students were registered for classes in the two technical programs offered: dental laboratory technology and nursing. Classes were held in many different venues. It wasn’t until 1976 and the opening of the John W. Oswald Building that the college started to develop its own identity. In 1984, the institution was renamed Lexington Community College. By 2004, 8,808 students were enrolled in programs of study offered by the college.
In 2005, the two colleges consolidated to form Bluegrass Community and Technical College (BCTC). The college is governed by the Kentucky Community and Technical College System.